Monday, May 13, 2013

                                May 13, 2013


Dear Janey,  
                     
Mothers Day...May 12, 2013
                    

           It's such a stellar blue sky evening here at the brown house with the green front door. I'm not certain, but it feels to be the warmest day of the year so far. Ah, blessed heat...de-thawing has never felt kinder.
     How was your Mothers Day friend? Were there smiley face flapjacks, dandelion bouquets and macaroni shell masterpieces sprinkled throughout your day? Were there extra tight hugs around your neck and Eskimo kisses that were sticky with jam left over from the smiling flapjacks? I do hope so.
     I've though a lot about Mothers Day this year. About my role as a Mother. What that role means to me and how I wear it. I came to the conclusion yesterday that although, women seem to be inherent nurturers... cradling others from the moment we leave the cradle ourselves it would seem. We are not, however, inherent nurturers of ourselves. For instance, I would never begin to think of saying to one of my children the words/thoughts/adjectives that so easily punctuate my "self talk" each day. Never for an instant could I fathom punishing them or disciplining them in the manner I so readily do myself. Makes me consider the origin of the word "tough love." Tough love sure seems to hold hands with the word female...from the starting gate it would seem.
     And, so, included in this lovenote to you dear Jane is a lullaby of sorts. A prayer even. It is for you. For them...and even for me.

        Because Janey...You're so, so, good.

                      -Sara

2 comments: